February 4, 2013

February 4, 2013...Updated

Still here. Still sick; and just got Clayton's book bag ready in case we have a midnight run to the ER. Of course he seems to be getting sick tonight. I have been desperately hoping that he wouldn't catch the same mess I have, but it's hard to take care of someone without sharing germs. George and I of course pray that if he does continue to get sick, that it can be a normal sick. We 'll take him to the doctor tomorrow, get an antibiotic to prevent infection and hopefully never see any signs of croup. Please, please pray that is how this turns out...that or better and he doesn't get sick at all. We have been doing his "puffs" routinely though, so hopefully that will act as a preventative against croup. A lot of times when he would get croup though, he would get it right before he started showing signs of being sick...so maybe we have passed the bad point? I know this, his croup was starting a pattern of every other month and the last time he had it, I got sick right after and had the craziest nosebleeds ever. Right now, I'm already sick...but I did start having nosebleeds today. I know, I know, I'm grasping at straws trying to make sense of this in some way. Trying to find a pattern or sequence of events that would somehow be that "thing" we need to tell us what to do. Unfortunately nothing like that exists, yet I still grasp at straws because it somehow channels the fear into a more manageable state.
Tonight will be sleepless. It will be listening to every breath, doing chest PTs if necessary and trying to "encourage" my sleeping four year old to cough. All of that is fine though. I just pray there is no croup. But if there is, I am giving him the oral steroid immediately. I have the steroid ready, the O2 monitor handy, the inhaler and the nebulizer nearby and a bag packed for the ER. Please pray I don't need it!
Starting to wonder if the nosebleeds are from stress!

**Updated**
We made it through the night with no croup! Clayton was a little rattle-y on and off and definitely has some drainage moving around, but as of now, no croup. Hoping it stays that way.
This respiratory stuff is so worrisome because you never know when it might act up. For now we are very hopeful his steroid inhaler will do its job. But just in case, we are sleeping a little uneasy, constantly listening to him at night, rotating him trying not to give that drainage a chance to settle, doing chest PTs and trying to "encourage" him to cough to clear his throat. You can tell we've spent some time in a hospital huh?...

No comments:

Post a Comment