May 12, 2015

Something Old, Something New

In the midst of my feeling like crap the last month, I got an awesome gift.  It was meant to be a Christmas gift from my mother, but the lady working on it had some personal circumstances come up so we waited patiently for her to finish as she could.  And of course it came when I felt too cruddy to share.  So now I'm going to share...



Sorry the pictures aren't the best.  I was trying to snap them one handed with Clayton reaching for my phone.  Obviously, it's a quilt!  But not just any quilt.  It's made from Clayton's clothes!  I have known for a long time I wanted to do something like this, so I saved my favorite clothes of his (or the ones that hold the most memories).  The quilt has clothes from the first five years of his life.  I found a lady on etsy and gathered and mailed her the clothes and told her what pattern I liked.  She took it from there.
Quilts tell stories.  Quilting is an art form and one that is not as popular as it once was.  Since Clayton got cancer, I have become a huge fan of quilts.  We have kid sized quilts from quilt guilds across the country from all our hospital stays.  That has been such an awesome token of love that we have been given by a few friends, but mostly from strangers.  
So anyhow, now we have this amazing quilt that tells Clayton's story.  Nearly every picture on this blog is represented through the fabric on this quilt.  There is clothing given to Clayton from our parents and grandparents and a couple hand-me-downs from my sister's kids.  I am just in love with this.  It is Clayton's story with lives of our family, every home we've shared together, every hospital stay, every plane ride or road trip, every traumatic event, every happy place...seriously, it is all represented here and it is the coolest thing I own.  If there is a fire, this is what I'd grab.  
The one thing everyone might recognize are all his button up shirts from his halo traction.  All five or six are in here.  I could go on and on, but I'll stop myself.  It is awesome and something if folks get the chance to do is worth looking into.  I'll post a link later if anyone is interested, but it's from a lady on Etsy.  I believe her store is called QuiltsByVanessa.  She is out of Crawfordville, FL.


This quilt has definitely been my highlight lately.  I'll post an update on Clayton in the next few days :)

No comments:

Post a Comment