July 27, 2016

Medical Monday: Benign Tumors

So this Medical Monday is coming at you late because I've been struggling with hormone issues lately.  Long story short, I have had a severe hormone imbalance since the end of my last pregnancy last spring.  The doctor finally decided to put me on some hormones for about a week to try and balance things out and/or reset my system as they put it.  So I spent last week on hormones.  I can honestly say I have had a glimpse of menopause.  So anyhow, I am getting myself back together now, but I am just exhausted.

So we checked in with Clayton's oncologist last week to get the results from the MIBG we did this month as a follow up to the CT in June.  Based on all of the results, they feel that what they have been seeing on his liver are benign tumors.  They say they sometimes see these on children who have undergone radiation therapy to their abdomen.  At this point these tumors require no treatment and the doctors did not indicate any possibility they would become malignant.  They did say that sometimes these tumors can grow large enough to require resection.  So for now, we will be watching the tumors by moving our scans back up from every six months to every three months.  This is one of those situations where a couple years after his cancer treatment we are starting to see its late side effects.  Unfortunately, the doctors expect we will likely see other late side effects as well.

Still waiting to hear about his rescheduled kidney procedure...

No comments:

Post a Comment