January 12, 2012

January 12, 2012

Today was good and bad and everything in between.  Clayton was either really grouchy or really happy all day, there wasn't much middle ground.  However, his counts did come up; they jumped from 385 yesterday to about 1050 today.  I think he is tired of all the people coming in and out and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't sick of it too. 
So good news: his counts are up and he is no longer neutropenic. Bad news: we still will not be harvesting tomorrow because his CD34 percentage is not high enough. So here is the new schedule:

Friday- Insert catheter used for harvesting & do bone marrow biopsy (results at end of next week)
Saturday- Harvest cells
Sunday- Come home
Monday to Thursday- Chemo round 3

So as you can see , things will continue to be busy through next week.  However, through all the madness there have been some bright spots.  First, I got to meet some other cancer parents last night.  It was nice.  Two of the parents have girls with AML and the third parent's child had neuroblastoma!  Go figure.  The neuroblastoma family is from Brewton, AL.  They have a 3 year-old little girl and are here for pheresis just like us.  They are under going a different treatment protocol though.   The two girls with AML are 12 and 2.  One of them is almost finished with her transplant "stuff" and the 2 year old just had her transplant on December 27th.  As you can see we have gotten to meet folks from all walks of the process which has been helpful. 
We got moved up to the the Bone Marrow Transplant floor this evening too.  Not real thrilled with our nurse.  She's a newbie with oncology/hemocology and I know more than she does. More details on the new floor tomorrow. 
The second bright spot today was my beads of courage.  They are beads that the oncology children get for every milestone the pass.  Every test, every round of chemo, every procedure, every blood draw, every night in the hospital...everything.  I was really excited to learn about these because it gives us something tangible to comemerate every step we take in the right direction. 


Well until tomorrow here is a little "happy"...it's blurry, but you get the point...

1 comment:

  1. I work with your mother, and my family has been praying for Clayton since before he was born...I had my daughter just a few months before Clayton was born and she too had some complications so I had a special interest in him from the start. Now 3 years later, she and I pray for Clayton together, and will continue to until he conquers this hurdle as well. Thank you for sharing his story.

    ReplyDelete