December 1, 2014

Decay by Chemo

So I can't say for certain that the chemo is to blame for Clayton's current dental problems, but I wonder.  I know it does cause problems for lots of kiddos.  I think we will be pretty lucky to just get away with a few teeth being pulled.  We'll know soon enough.  A year ago he had no cavities... Now he has bad decay on three baby teeth.  This is a kid who wouldn't eat candy to save his life.  George and I might not have been as on top of dental hygiene as we should have, but I still blame chemo.  When you have so many battles to pick, it can be hard to pick anything you aren't forced to.
We also did some tests the other week on Clayton's blood and kidney function.  The tentative game plan for his kidney is to do a stent replacement in January in Pensacola and our urologist there will have one of their Nemours colleagues from Orlando with them.  That way the colleague can get a feel for Clayton's kidney and ureter and help us to make the best long term plan.  It looks as though any major surgery for that might be done in Orlando.  Mickey Mouse!!!  (no time frame for any long term surgery yet). At least if we have to go through hell, we'll be surrounded by magic!  Looking for the light people.
On the vaccine front... One of the reasons I love our Nemours team is because when I was speaking with them about vaccines, they didn't dare try and push them on me and they didn't turn us away...instead, they said let's test his immunity and see if any further vaccines would even be necessary before we think of having a conversation about it.  Sounds like a plan to me!  They respect and practice my own pursuit of doing what is necessary and avoiding what is not.  Love.  So they drew the blood for the testing and we'll know in a few weeks.  Love that approach.  Love, love love.  I'm all about reason and compromise and protecting my sweet boy any way I can.  I just need to know as a parent, that the means are necessary and have to do with what his body needs and not with policies, politics, big pharmaceuticals, bottom lines or blanket solutions, etc.  Because my bottom line is what is best for him.  I just keep loving our Pensacola oncology team more!  
Like I said last time though, I hate having to leave his old Peds office.  They helped us SO much over the past 6 years and they will be missed.  I'm still disappointed in the situation, but I will miss them nonetheless.  Our new close to home oncology team helps fill that void though :)

No comments:

Post a Comment