December 2, 2014

"Those Days"

Today is one of those days.  Those days where every time you turn around you can't help, but be like "seriously?"  "Is this for real?"  Knowing that YES, this is for real.  Life with Clayton really is this are-you-kidding-make-me-jump-through-hoops kinda life.
It all started with teeth.  As previously explained we knew Clayton had a couple teeth that needed fixing, so yesterday we went to see a local dentist I grew up with.  She confirmed what I suspected and referred us to Dr. Trey who has all the bells and whistles for fun and function as everyone in the area knows.  Dr. Trey's is like a local funhouse.  I dropped Clayton at my mom's after to run an errand during which point he was proudly still toting his green "Dr. Trey's" balloon which instantly made my mom squeall with delight that Clayton got to go to Dr. Trey's.  You would have thought I took him to Disney.  Really though the man (Dr. Trey) is a genius.  Who wouldn't want to run a successful pediatric dental practice in downtown that everyone thinks is fun, fun, fun AND you get to drive to work on a golf cart...with your dogs...who just chill behind the office while you work.  Genius I tell you.  I digress...
This morning we made it to see Dr. Trey who is great, but unfortunately who let me know that he felt Clayton needed to have his dental work done under general anesthesia...again, unfortunately, Dr. Trey had given up his OR privileges so he needed to refer us to a dentist in Pensacola.  Which is fine, but since we went into Dr. Trey's thinking he was superman and realizing he wasn't quite equipped for Clayton's level of difficulty, it was one of those "forgive the look of shock on my face" moments.  So we left.  And yes it was an awesome place and I couldn't help, but wish it would have worked out.  Even Clayton acted like a kid in a candy store there.
On the way out of town, I call the dentist we were referred to in Pensacola during which time I learn that if we were to do any treatment there we would have to shell out all money up front and our insurance could reimburse us later.  A.  we don't have that kind of money B. I am not sure how long it would take to get our money back C. how much money would we really get back?  What kind of money am I talking about?  3-4 cavities/extractions worth plus general anesthesia.  Not going to work.
The last resort I could think of was Dallas.  Clayton's orthopedic hospital has an in house dental clinic.  Same one we visited about a year ago...you know when he didn't have any cavities.  And I know that the insurance, money, sedation side of things is all OK.  No questions asked.  Love.  Luckily, we are in need of seeing his orthopedic surgeon in the next 3-4 months which would make a trip worthwhile, so one phone call and a few hours later everything was coordinated and we were able to schedule things for January.  Ortho...check. Dental...work check.  Two birds, one stone.  The hard way might work out after all.
So who drives 10 hours for their kid to get dental work?  Apparently we do because that is how life with Clayton seems to go.  Everything the hard way.  And while I continue to be astonished at how difficult life with Clayton can be, I try not to complain about it because bottom line is I am insanely blessed to call the little tornado mine.   Plus who can complain about dentist problems when there are real problems out there like cancer?

No comments:

Post a Comment