April 2, 2012

April 2, 2012

We got to come home on Friday afternoon...yay! Fun weekend at home? Kind of. It is always nice to be home, but I assure you life doesn't stop and the little things don't all go right just because something like cancer is lingering over your life. Cancer is just chaos on top of the existing chaos.
The night Clayton's cancer was confirmed, I was driving home to get George and I more clothes for our inevitable (prolonged) hospital stay when I got a flat tire. At 9:30 p.m. On the causeway. On one of the bridges. The darkest bridge. You know the one between Ed's shed and the bridge closest to Spanish Fort? Yea, that one. Thank goodness for my Uncle Phil and the two Spanish Fort police officers who came to the aid of a hysterical woman gripping her steering wheel, screaming,"SERIOUSLY!", at the top of her lungs.
Then there was the day in late January that George found out that his 10 year old lab was beginning to get some paralysis in her spine. Really? First the man's son gets cancer and now his best friend is experiencing the beginning stages of paralysis?
Did I mention I had another flat tire LAST month?
Then there was what we thought was a LITTLE bit of rot on out door jamb that turned out to be more extensive because when our house was built in '04 the builder failed to install flashing.
These are just the "highlights".
But don't let me be such a Debbie Downer. Even though some of these things might be frustrating only one of them matters...(oh, and our dog too)... Plus we then have all the blessings...our friends, our family and our jobs being at the top of that list. With the good comes the bad. And I assure you I have the deepest appreciation for the good. Have a pity party if needed, but wake up the next day with a smile on your face ready to conquer the world-or cancer whatever happens to be thrown your way. ( I am sure my mother and husband are laughing at that statement, because I seldom wake up with a smile seeing as how I am NOT a morning person. Give me thirty minutes though and I am ready to start the day! There I go thinking I'm Oprah... I digress.
We did have a pleasant weekend at home and Clayton is doing GREAT. Our minds and spare time have however been focused on our rot issue. By the time I come home from work tomorrow, it should all be fixed! Aside from that we are waiting to verify if scans will be this Thursday or Friday or the following Monday or Tuesday. From there, surgery should be within three weeks. Very exciting!!!
He really is doing great and it is always so humbling to know how many people care for him. I wish I could bottle up all of the magic, everyday moments with him and share them with you all. Few people get to see him like George and I do and those are always the sweetest, funniest moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment